SCALING FOR COMPING
Another idea when comping is to MOVE the notes – some call it “doodle“. To start to be comfortable when you “doodle” – run mini scales.
Play all your exercises – with a light – detached attach on each note – NOT LEGATO
Count evenly – then DOUBLE the count. For all the exercises that follow – play BOTH hands – usually ONE MEASURE AT A TIME (repeating – without stops) – until you can proceed faster.
- Each line is a new key or scale
- Each line uses the Dominate Chord (V7) chord – even though the Right Hand is still play the same scale.
- The last measure of each line – uses the CHROMATIC approach to going to the next chord
- All “white note” keys (scales) are done for you – NOW – You go and do the same on the Db, Eb, F#, Ab, & Bb scales!
- The Dominate 7th chord is there to show you how you can play the scale of the “next measure chord” over the 7th chord entrance.
- This exercise is designed to start TRAINING your hand position to AUTO PILOT go to the MAJOR CHORD in ROOT position.
Now find places within your solos – to add a scale. Particularly at a phrase ending.