Rocking for Comping
Now that you Really Feeling Accomplished! (Blocks for Comping) (please review Blocks for Comping) – lets move onto something MORE than just PUNCHING CHORDS!
You are now really feeling comfortable with the chords and hand positions – now let’s start to break them up. I am also doing a new chord progression structure. Notice that at the end of each line – I am using the 7th chord that leads to the next line’s Key!
Practice each LINE INDEPENDENTLY (leave off the last 2 counts) – then practice progressing to the next key.
- Practice one measure at a time – over and over without stopping
- Follow the fingering rules (Pinky on Top)
- Each line is a new key – with the 3 main chords in that key
- ALSO watch out for the last two counts – I am showing how to use the 7th chord of the key that follows on the next line – as a lead in chord
- Each line introduces a new method of playing your chords in a rocking fashion
- Now – In Each Key – follow the changing rhythms – but stay in the same key!
- ALSO – notice that I use a combination of rocks and chords in the last few examples!
- All White note keys are demonstrated (I used the Bb this time!) – NOW GO DO THE BLACK NOTE KEYS
Excellent songs to use this rocking style on:
- Norwegian Wood (Solo/Trio)
- You Are My Sunshine
- You Are My Sunshine Key of F
- Wings of a Dove
- The Little Cafe by the Harbour
- You’ll Never Walk Alone