Listen Listen Listen – more SONGS
I sincerely hope that you REALLY did PART 1 – and TURNED YOUR EARS ON! We will continue with 2 more songs. Click the link to listen to the song – AS YOU FOLLOW MY NOTES.
I Write the Songs – 1977
(Grammy Award for Song of the Year and was nominated for Record of the Year in 1977)
- Listen to several versions – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95dKsLZXygk
- Did you hear that fantastic INTRO – You could play a game – of NAME THAT TUNE and from the intro ALONE – the song would be guessed!
- Listen to the piano in the first verse – rolling & blocking chords! & little end of phrase fills
- WOW – the intro theme is repeated before it returns to 2nd verse. (this is NOT notated on published arrangements!)
- The second verse has fantastic VOCAL chords – holding with a styled rhythm that can be done in the basses.
- 3rd verse – the strings – do some fantastic flowing sustained chords!
- There is a cool rhythm changed too on the bridge – great place for a bass style change! I love the little trumpet fills!
- THEN THERE IS THE BIG KEY CHANGE!!!! A MUST FOR this song! (there is really another key change – but you could slide past that one!)
- The song is at it’s fullest – here at the key change! STRINGS – CHORUS – Rhythm!!
- Listen for the instrumental RECAP!!! at the end!
- ONE BIG BEEF I have – too many songs JUST FADE OUT. We can’t do that!!! We have to have an ending!!!! SO in this case – just FINISH that little instruments theme and end it.
I Write the Songs (Search) link – http://wp.me/pD2eD-pv
It’s My Party – 1963
- Listen to Leslie Gore – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsYJyVEUaC4
- True – BUBBLE GUM ROCK – but great style to learn comping!
- There is a term called “KICK” – and that is when the music or the drummer does a LEAD IN – into the next section – Listen for them – chords or rhythm are used to KICK the music forward – at the end of a phrase.
- At the instrumental break – you hear those SAME LONG CHORDS from the vocals – like from “I Write the Songs” – now how do you PLAY THEM??? (I did not write out the instrumental BREAK – I WANT YOU TO DO IT!!!!
- WELL – here we go again – another FADE OUT! A game you can play in this case – is recap the last 4 measure or last theme – about 3 times – then end! (“You would cry too if it happened to you – You would cry too if it happened to you”)
Link – It’s My Party
In 1963, American singer Lesley Gore’s version hit #1 on the pop and rhythm and blues charts in the United States. It was the first hit single for producer Quincy Jones.