How to ADD harmony notes under Melody notes
I should have already beat you up enough about learning how to build your chords. Until now – I have shown you how to add an accompaniment chord rhythm to someone else playing melody – NOW let’s add these same chords UNDER the melody line.
GENERAL RULES (to start):
- Never play a harmony note above the melody line except:
- if adding a rhythmic chord pattern or
- the end of a phrase or section
- ADD at least the ONE note that defines the chord for that measure or count
- Example – DM – at least add the F#, or C7 – at least the Bb, Gm – at least the Bb, etc.
- Melody line will probably always be played with your 3-4-5 fingers – allowing the 1 & 2 to grab the chord notes underneath.
- On note movement – look for opportunity to play 3rds or 6ths – either above or below melody (yes exception to rule #1!) – Everly Brothers, Righteous Brothers, & Bee Gees – all harmonized a 3rd or 6th above melody!
Harmony 101 – I have picked these simple lead line songs (alot of these – sent to me by Dr. Sissons) – to get you started on adding notes to your melody lines.
OPEN for Reference – Chord Positions All Keys
LINK – to Lesson – Harmony – Adding Harmony Notes
- When Irish eyes are smiling (CM)
- Santa Lucia (CM)
- Beautiful Dreamer (CM)
- Vieni sul Mar (Italian) (CM)
- Five Foot Two, Eyes Of Blue (CM)
- Greensleeves (Am)
- Star of the County Down (English) (Am)
Harmony 201 – Now jump up to level 3 – and try these:
Here is a quick review of the past months’ lessons – so you can do a quick review – if you have not been following the MONTHLY LESSON LINK!
- Lesson #1 – Sept 2014 – Introduction to Play Chords ONLY!
- Lesson #2 – Oct. 2014 – Chords – Modulating, & Progressions
- Lesson #3 – Nov. 2014 – Intro to Ear Training – Chord Progressions Intro
- Lesson #4 – Dec. 2014 – Dexterity & Finger Articulation (someone else)
- Lesson #5 – Jan. 2015 – Dexterity & Finger Articulation (mine)
- Lesson #6 – Feb. 2015 – Counting – 6/8 (Compound Meter)
- Lesson #7 – March 2015 – Setting Benchmarks and Goals
- Lesson #8 – April 2015 – Writing Assignment – Basic Music Theory
- Lesson #9 – May 2015 – “It’s All About that Bass”
- Lesson #10 – June 2015 – Pull Dem’ Bellows