A Man and a Woman – 1966
I saw the movie in High School – with sub-titles and loved the music!!! I had no idea what the movie was about!!! Just strange Black and White – and I couldn’t read fast enough!!! BUT WOW this SONG!!!!
Fantastic Jazz chords and rhythms – Have FUN with it. I either choose to play “Girl from Ipanema” or this one – when I want to show off JAZZY!
Here is Dr. Alan Sissons – performing this arrangement – A Man and a Woman
About the Song:
The soundtrack was written by Francis Lai and earned “Best Original Score” nominations at both the BAFTA Awards and Golden Globe Awards in 1967. The film’s theme song, with music by Francis Lai and lyrics by Pierre Barouh, was also nominated for “Best Original Song in a Motion Picture” at the Golden Globe Awards. In Finland it has become one of the most easily recognizable TV advertisement themes, having been used for decades by the cruiseferry brand Silja Line.
Awards and nominations
- 1966 Cannes Film Festival Palme d’Or (Claude Lelouch) – Won
- 1967 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film – Won
- 1967 Academy Award for Best Writing (Claude Lelouch, Pierre Uytterhoeven) – Won
- 1967 Academy Award Nomination for Best Actress in a Leading Role (Anouk Aimée)
- 1967 Academy Award Nomination for Best Director (Claude Lelouch)
- 1967 Blue Ribbon Award for Best Foreign Language Film (Claude Lelouch) – Won
- 1967 Cinema Writers Circle Award for Best Foreign Film – Won
- 1967 Directors Guild of America Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement (Claude Lelouch) – Won
- 1967 Golden Globe Award for Best Foreign-Language Foreign Film – Won
- 1967 Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture Actress (Anouk Aimée) – Won
- Won – Grammy Award 1967 – Best Performance by a Vocal Group
- Anita Kerr for “A Man and a Woman” performed by the Anita Kerr Singers